Major Habitat Type
Drainages flowing into
Gulf of Tomini, Sea of Molucca
Main rivers to other water bodies
Lake Poso is located roughly in the center of the Indonesian island of Sulawesi.
The terrestrial ecoregions include Sulawesi montane rain forests [AA0124] and Sulawesi lowland rain forests [AA0123] (Wikramanayake et al. 2002).
Description of endemic fishes
At least seven species in this ecoregion are endemic, including an endemic genus, Adrianichthys (A. roseni). Other endemics include Xenopoecilus poptae, X. oophorus, O. orthognathus, and O. nigrimas.
Justification for delineation
For Southeast Asia, delineations were determined using a bottom-up approach that employed both published and unpublished field data and expert assessment (Abell et al. 2008; Kottelat 1990; Kottelat et al. 1993; Kottelat & Whitten 1993). Lake Poso is a tectonic lake, inhabited by at least seven endemic species of fishes. Several genera are endemic, and all but one of the members of the subfamily Adrianichthyinae are known only from the lake. Parallel radiations are known or suspected in most of these groups. Several species of fish are apparently already extinct (M. Kottelat pers. comm. 2006).
- Abell, Robin,M.L. Thieme,C. Revenga,M. Bryer,M. Kottelat,N. Bogutskaya,B. Coad,N. Mandrak,S.C. Balderas,W. Bussing,M.L.J. Stiassny,P. Skelton,G.R. Allen,P. Unmack,A. Naseka,R. Ng,N. Sindorf,J. Robertson,E. Armijo,J.V. Higgins,T.J. Heibel,E. Wikramanayake, (2008). "Freshwater Ecoregions of the World: A New Map of Biogeographic Units for Freshwater Biodiversity Conservation" BioScience 58 (5) pp. 403-414.
- Wikramanayake, Eric,Dinerstein, Eric,Loucks, C.,Olson, D.M.,Morrison, J.,Lamoreux, J. L.,McKnight, M.;Hedao, P. (2002). "Terrestrial ecoregions of the Indo-Pacific: A conservation assessment" Washington, DC: Island Press.
- Kottelat, M.;Whitten, A. J. (1993). "Freshwater fishes of Western Indonesia and Sulawesi: additions and corrections" Hong Kong: Periplus.
- Kottelat, M. (1990). "Synopsis of the endangered buntingi (Osteichthyes: Adrianichthyidae and Oryziidae) of Lake Poso, Central Sulawesi, Indonesia, with a new reproductive guild and descriptions of three new species" Ichthyological Exploration of Freshwaters 1 (1) pp. 49-67.
- Kottelat, M.,Whitten, A. J.,Kartikasari, S. N.;Wirjoatmodjo, S. (1993). "Freshwater fishes of Western Indonesia and Sulawesi" Hong Kong: Periplus.