Central & Eastern Java
Major Habitat Type
Tropical and subtropical coastal rivers
Drainages flowing into
Bali Sea, Java Sea
Main rivers to other water bodies
Rivers in the ecoregion include the Solo, Lusi, and Brantas rivers. Rawa Pening is a semi-natural lake.
This ecoregion includes all the northern river basins of Java east of Cirebon, as well as Madura and the Kangean islands.
Terrestrial ecoregions include the Eastern Java-Bali montane rain forests [IM0112] and Eastern Java-Bali rain forests [IM0113] (WWF 2001).
Description of endemic fishes
This ecoregion is estimated to have around 5 endemic species (M. Kottelat pers. comm. 2006).
Justification for delineation
For Southeast Asia, delineations were determined using a bottom-up approach that employed both published and unpublished field data and expert assessment (Abell et al. 2008; Kottelat et a. 1993; Kottelat & Whitten 1993). The available data (unpublished) suggest that several of the species considered to be widespread throughout Java in fact are represented by pairs of species in western and eastern Java, suggesting that central and eastern Java should tentatively be considered a distinct ecoregion (M. Kottelat pers. comm. 2006).
Level of taxonomic exploration
There has been little field work on the native aquatic fauna of this ecoregion (M. Kottelat pers. comm. 2006).
- Abell, Robin,M.L. Thieme,C. Revenga,M. Bryer,M. Kottelat,N. Bogutskaya,B. Coad,N. Mandrak,S.C. Balderas,W. Bussing,M.L.J. Stiassny,P. Skelton,G.R. Allen,P. Unmack,A. Naseka,R. Ng,N. Sindorf,J. Robertson,E. Armijo,J.V. Higgins,T.J. Heibel,E. Wikramanayake, (2008). "Freshwater Ecoregions of the World: A New Map of Biogeographic Units for Freshwater Biodiversity Conservation" BioScience 58 (5) pp. 403-414.
- World Wildlife Fund (WWF) (2001) \Terrestrial Ecoregions of the World\ "<"http://www.worldwildlife.org/wildworld/profiles/terrestrial_nt.html">"
- Kottelat, M. and Whitten, T. (1996) \Freshwater biodiversity in Asia with special reference to fish, World Bank Technical Paper No. 343\ Washington, DC, USA. The World Bank.
- Kottelat, M.;Whitten, A. J. (1993). "Freshwater fishes of Western Indonesia and Sulawesi: additions and corrections" Hong Kong: Periplus.
- Kottelat, M.,Whitten, A. J.,Kartikasari, S. N.;Wirjoatmodjo, S. (1993). "Freshwater fishes of Western Indonesia and Sulawesi" Hong Kong: Periplus.